I. The Challenge of Depression
1. Depression Casts a Long Shadow
2. Why Do People Who Have Recovered from Depression Relapse?
3. Developing Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
II. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
4. Doing and Being
5. The Eight-Session Program: How and Why
6. The Preclass Participant Interview
7. Awareness and Automatic Pilot: Session 1
8. Kindness and Self-Compassion in Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
9. Living in Our Heads: Session 2
10. Gathering the Scattered Mind: Session 3
11. Recognizing Aversion: Session 4
12. Inquiring into Practice and Practicing Inquiry
13. Allowing/Letting Be: Session 5
14. Thoughts Are Not Facts: Session 6
15. A Day of Mindful Practice
16. "How Can I Best Take Care of Myself?": Session 7
17. Maintaining and Extending New Learning: Session 8
18. Reprise: The 3-Minute Breathing Space as the Spine of the Program
III. Evaluation and Dissemination
19. Does Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Work?
20. How Does Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Achieve Its Effects?
21. Moving the Program Off the Page and into the Clinic: Supports for Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Instructors and Their Patients