Guilford Publications (Guilford Press), founded in 1973, is an independent academic/scholarly press located in midtown Manhattan, NYC, near Penn Station. We publish acclaimed books and periodicals in the areas of psychology, mental health, wellness, education, social sciences, research methods, geography, and other related fields. We offer our employees a collaborative and highly productive work environment, excellent benefits, and opportunities for career development.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, creed, national origin, marital/partnership status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction status, status as a victim of domestic violence, military status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law.
Operations Project Manager
Guilford is a proudly independent publishing company committed to high-quality academic books and journals. With a staff of 75, Guilford is full of people passionate about what we publish. As the lead project manager, this position will work with leaders across the company on data improvements which facilitate access to vital information about our customers, authors, books, and journals. This person will support company-wide communication tools that structure Guilford’s work culture in a hybrid environment. This position also plays the lead role in monitoring how resellers use data to generate sales and the distribution of our various digital products. The Operations Project Manager will supervise the company’s Data team (currently two talented and experienced staff members) and will report to Guilford’s Director of Administration.
- Project manager for cross-departmental data changes to improve functional use of databases.
- Support Guilford staff in the use of communication tools including Slack, Outlook, Zoom, and VOIP.
- Organize training for database and communication tools.
- Supervise Help Desk and implement continuous improvement processes for tech use.
- Lead metadata and ebook distribution and troubleshoot issues with resellers.
- Oversee data processes in the TM database, and manage TM report distribution/creation including database audits, workflow triggers, production reporting, multi-state sales tax reports.
- Oversee upgrades and troubleshoot functional issues within Access, Acumen, and several other 3rd party databases.
Qualifications / Requirements
- At least three years of database and project management experience preferred.
- Thorough understanding of file structures, design, information retrieval techniques, and database controls.
- A collaborative and roll-up your sleeves mind-set.
- Sensitivity to organizing projects and workflow to meet needs across multiple departments.
- Superior diagnostic, problem-solving, and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Proficiency with Access and Crystal report writing desired.
- Experience and interest in book and journal publishing environment a definite plus.
Applicants available to work from our office in NY are preferred; however, applicants interested in working fully remote—only from the specific states of NY, NJ, MD, or MA, due to our company’s current employer tax considerations—will also be considered.
Pay range for this position is $90,000 to $105,000 annually depending on experience. Comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, pre-tax benefits, professional development opportunities) are offered.
To Apply / Special Instructions
Candidates should send their resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email subject line, include the title of the position, “Operations Project Manager.”
Customer Service Professional
Guilford Press has an excellent opportunity in our Fulfillment Department for those looking to start a career in publishing. We seek a productive and organized customer service professional who enjoys interacting with customers and authors by phone, email, and on occasion, in person. Those in our Fulfillment Department have direct contact and learning opportunities with many of the crucial duties involved in independent publishing, including order fulfilment, inventory maintenance, ecommerce, accounts payable and receivable, supporting marketing efforts, and working with major domestic resellers and international distributors.
You will be responsible for managing key accounts, learning their policies and requirements, and processing their orders and credit memos. You will liaise with authors to get their books to speaking engagements and conferences. The publishing industry is changing, and you will be called upon to take on special projects in order to find solutions to new problems.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Customer service or related work experience.
- Strong data entry, problem solving, and communication skills.
- Willingness to learn new skills and technologies.
- Proficiency with Excel.
- Strong general computer skills.
- An interest in publishing, and the subject areas in which Guilford Press publishes, would be helpful.
This position is based out of our New York City office. This is not a remote work only opportunity. After training and successful performance, this position may allow for a hybrid of office-based and remote work; however, candidates must be available to work on-site from our New York City office location. Guilford Publications complies with the New York City Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene’s order requiring vaccination in the workplace, and all employees, and those entering our workplace for any extended period of time, must show proof of vaccination.
Pay range for this position is $20 to $21.50 per hour with eligibility for over-time. Comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, pre-tax benefits, professional development opportunities) are offered.
To Apply / Special Instructions
Guilford is a company full of people who are passionate about the titles we publish. When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here and why you’re interested in this job. Candidates should send their resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. In the email subject line, please include “Customer Service Professional.” For those candidates that advance to the final stages of the recruitment, a brief writing exercise will be required.