Guilford Publications (Guilford Press), founded in 1973, is an independent academic/scholarly press located in midtown Manhattan, NYC, near Penn Station. We publish acclaimed books and periodicals in the areas of psychology, mental health, wellness, education, social sciences, research methods, geography, and other related fields. We offer our employees a collaborative and highly productive work environment, excellent benefits, and opportunities for career development.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, creed, national origin, marital/partnership status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction status, status as a victim of domestic violence, military status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law.
Database & IT Manager
Guilford Press is looking for an experienced Database & IT Manager. The person in this operational role will oversee the effectiveness of third-party database tools and services, creatively solve workflow issues, develop new functions within our database structures, and lead project management for Guilford’s database and network initiatives. This position oversees vital metadata in the wild, and will develop ticketing and interfaces for cross-departmental decision making on metadata priorities. The Database & IT Manager guides the delivery of useful data reporting to stakeholders throughout the company, including sales, marketing, editorial, and senior management. Supervising the company’s Data and IT teams (currently three staff members), the position reports to Guilford’s Director of Administration.
- Effectively maintain third-party databases including: Acumen, TM, Access, and Microsoft SL.
- Improve functional use of databases in response to business needs, working closely with key stakeholders, including the web team, customer service, sales, marketing, production/editorial, and accounting.
- Direct company on best practices for ONIX coding to improve metadata delivery and use.
- Oversee metadata and ebook distribution and troubleshoot issues with vendors.
- Maintain and develop feeds and other necessary communications between databases.
- Oversee issuance of existing reports including audits, workflow triggers, production reporting, multi-state sales tax reports, etc.
- Oversee the development of new reports to allow for reliable access to information, as needed, across the company.
- IT Management portion of this role is a support/supervisory role to Network/System Administrator.
Qualifications / Requirements
- At least five years of related experience required, with at least two years of project management and/or supervisory experience preferred.
- Thorough understanding of file structures and design, information retrieval techniques, file access methods, and database controls and standards.
- Ability to work well with multiple stakeholders and envision cross-departmental solutions using existing database tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Superior diagnostic, problem-solving and project management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Knowledge of network environments useful.
- Experience in SQL report writing required.
- Publishing and ONIX experience desired.
- Knowledge of TM and Acumen Fulfillment System a plus.
- Experience and interest in book and journal publishing environment a plus.
This position is based out of our New York City office. It is not a remote work only opportunity. After training, this position will allow for a hybrid of office-based (three days per week) and remote (two days per week) work; however, candidates must be able to work on-site from our New York City office location. Guilford Publications complies with the New York City Commissioner of Health and Mental Hygiene’s order requiring vaccination in the workplace, and all employees, and those entering our workplace for any extended period of time, must show proof of vaccination.
Pay range for this position is $85,000 to $95,000 annually depending on experience. Comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, pre-tax benefits, professional development opportunities) are offered.
To Apply / Special Instructions
Candidates should send their resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. In the email subject line, include the title of the position, “Database & IT Manager.”