Guilford is interested in considering professional books from clinicians, researchers, and scholars in Psychology, Mental Health, Education, Research Methods, and Geography, plus trade books for the general public in Mental Health, Psychology, and Parenting. We do not publish fiction, poetry, dissertations, biographies, or autobiographies. Please explore our website for more detail on our current subject areas.
We prefer to receive a proposal at first rather than an entire manuscript. The following materials will help us determine whether your work is a good fit with Guilford's list:
1. PROSPECTUS, which should include:
- Table of contents. If it is an edited book, please list contributors and indicate whether they have committed to contribute chapters, or are just potential authors.
- Detailed chapter outline, providing a brief (two paragraphs) description of what each chapter will contain.
- Two or three page introduction to the book summarizing principal themes and unique features.
- Major selling points. Provide details on why you feel the work is timely, innovative, and/or superior to existing books on the same topic. Include specifics on books you feel will compete closely with yours (including title, author, date of publication, and publisher). Explain how your book would differ in approach, content, level of explication, etc.
- Intended audience. Be specific about the primary and secondary markets for the book. Would it be used primarily as a professional reference? To what fields/organizations would we do best to market it? Would the book be suitable for text adoption? Give examples of the types of courses, at what levels.
- Details on the book itself, including length in double-spaced, typed manuscript pages; whether there will be extensive use of photographs, figures, etc.; unusual format issues; and your proposed schedule for completion.
2. CURRENT CURRICULUM VITAE for yourself and any co-authors or co-editors. CVs need not be provided for contributors to edited books.
3. SAMPLE CHAPTERS: While sample chapters are not essential, if you have started work on the volume, choose one or two chapters which you feel best represent the work, ideally from different parts of the book. If you don't have chapters prepared, send a few samples of your writing (on the same subject, if possible), such as journal articles, chapter reprints, etc.
Please e-mail your query or proposal to Proposals@guilford.com, or mail it to the attention of Book Proposals at the address below, and be sure to include an e-mail address for response. If you want your materials returned, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. We try to respond within four weeks of receipt of materials. We thank you for your interest in Guilford, and look forward to hearing from you.
Guilford Publications, Inc.
370 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10001-1020
(212) 431-9800 x212 phone
(212) 966-6708 fax