Handbook of Arts-Based Research
Edited by Patricia Leavy
The e-book editions of this title sold by Guilford and other e-book vendors feature 61 full-color figures. (If you have a black-and-white e-reader, the illustrations will appear in black and white, as in the print book.)
Check out Dr. Leavy's newest book: Spark—a novel that explores the research process and interdisciplinary thinking. Also sign up to receive e-alerts on books by Patricia Leavy.
Read a Q & A with Patricia Leavy, our March 2019 Author of the Month!
1. Introduction to Arts-Based Research, Patricia Leavy
2. Philosophical and Practical Foundations of Artistic Inquiry: Creating Paradigms, Methods, and Presentations Based in Art, Shaun McNiff
3. A/r/tography as Living Inquiry, Rita Irwin, Natalie LeBlanc, Jee Yeon Ryu, & George Belliveau
4. The Performative Movement in Social Science, Kenneth J. Gergen & Mary M. Gergen
5. Creative Arts Therapies and Arts-Based Research, Cathy A. Malchiodi
6. Creativity and Imagination: Research as World Making!, Celiane Camargo-Borges
7. Arts-Based Research Traditions and Orientations in Europe: Perspectives from Finland and Spain, Anniina Suominen, Mira Kallio-Tabin, & Fernando Hernández-Hernández
II. Literary Genres
8. Narrative Inquiry, Mark Freeman
9. The Art of Autoethnography, Tony E. Adams & Stacy Holman Jones
10. Long Story Short: Encounters with Creative Nonfiction as Methodological Provocation, Anita Sinner, Erika Hasebe-Ludt, & Carl Leggo
11. Fiction-Based Research, Patricia Leavy
12. Poetic Inquiry: Poetry as/in/for Social Research, Sandra L. Faulkner
III. Performance Genres
13. A/r/tographic Inquiry in a New Totality: The Rationality of Music and Poetry, Peter Gouzouasis
14. Living, Moving, and Dancing: Embodied Ways of Inquiry, Celeste Snowber
15. Ethnodrama and Ethnotheatre, Joe Salvatore
16. Reflections on the Techniques and Tones of Playbuilding by a Director/Actor/Researcher/Teacher, Joe Norris
IV. Visual Arts
17. Arts-Based Visual Research, Gunilla Holm, Fritjof Sahlström, & Harriet Zilliacus
18. Drawing and Painting Research, Barbara J.Fish
19. Collage as Arts-Based Research, Victoria Scotti & Gioia Chilton
20. Installation Art: The Voyage Never Ends, Jennifer L. Lapum
21. How to Draw Comics the Scholarly Way: Creating Comics-Based Research in the Academy, Paul Kuttner, Nick Sousanis, & Marcus B. Weaver-Hightower
V. Audiovisual Arts
22. Film as Research/Research as Film, Trevor Hearing & Kip Jones
23. Ethnocinema and Video-Based Research, Anne Harris
VI. Mixed Method and Team Approaches
24. Sea Monsters Conquer the Beaches: Community Art as an Educational Resource—a Marine Debris Project, Karin Stoll, Wenche Sørmo, & Mette Gårdvik
25. Multimethod Arts-Based Research, Susan Finley
VII. Arts-Based Research within Disciplines or Area Studies
26. Arts-Based Research in Education, James Haywood Rolling, Jr.
27. An Overview ofArts-Based Researchin Sociology, Anthropology, and Psychology, Jessica Smartt Gullion & Lisa Schäfer
28. Deepening the Mystery of Arts-Based Research in the Health Sciences, Jennifer L. Lapum
29. Arts-Based Research in the Natural Sciences, Rebecca Kamen
30. Learning from Aesthetics: Unleashing Untapped Potential in Business, Keiko Krahnke & Donald Gudmundson
VIII. Additional Considerations
31. Criteria for Evaluating Arts-Based Research, Patricia Leavy
32. Translation in Arts-Based Research, Nancy Gerber & Katherine Myers-Coffman
33. Arts-Based Writing: The Performance of Our Lives, Candace Jesse Stout & Vittoria S. Daiello
34. Art, Agency, and Ethics in Research: How the New Materialisms Will Require and Transform Arts-Based Research, Jerry Rosiek
35. Aesthetic-Based Research as Pedagogy: The Interplay of Knowing and Unknowing toward Expanded Seeing, Liora Bresler
36. The Pragmatics of Publishing the Experimental Text, Norman K. Denzin
37. Going Public: The Reach and Impact of Ethnographic Research, Phillip Vannini & Sarah Abbott
Conclusion: On Realizing the Promise of Arts-Based Research, Patricia Leavy
Save 15% + Free Shipping on Online Orders!
- Applies only to prepaid online orders from US and Canadian customers.
- Discount is applied to the list price.
- You can take advantage of special offers along with the 15% discount by entering a promotional code in the shopping cart. You will receive the larger discount available for each item.
- Not applicable to journal renewals.
- Applies only to prepaid online orders from US customers.
- Packages sent via USPS Media Mail. You may choose to pay for rush shipping instead.
- We've also reduced shipping charges to Canada to a flat $9.00 per order. Packages sent via CanPar.
For bulk orders, please contact: email@example.com