Helping Teens Who Cut
Using DBT® Skills to End Self-Injury
I. Understanding Self-Injury
1. Fact versus Fiction: Bringing Self-Injury into the Light
2. What Sets the Stage for Self-Injury?
3. How Does Hurting Themselves Make Some Kids Feel Better?
4. DBT: The Right Therapy for Your Teen
II. Helping Your Teen in Treatment and at Home
5. Making the Most of DBT
6. Resetting the Stage: How to Help Your Teen Restore Emotion to Its Proper Place
7. Writing a Better Script: New Ways to Discourage Self-Injury
8. Taking Care of Yourself to Take Care of Your Teen
9. How to Speak with Siblings, Friends, and the School about Your Child’s Troubles
Appendix A. Effectiveness of Adolescent Intensive Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program
Appendix B. Intensive Treatment Programs
Resources: Websites Related to Self-Injury