Teaching with Children's Literature
Theory to Practice
Margaret Vaughn and Dixie D. Massey
Foreword by Elfrieda H. Hiebert
2. What Is Purposeful Teaching with Literature?
3. What Matters When Teaching with Literature in the Classroom?
4. What Do Books Have to Offer?
5. How Can We Help Students Understand the Books They Read?
6. How Can We Encourage Students to Read Widely?
7. How Can We Incorporate Expository Text Purposefully?
8. How Can We Use Writing and Discussing to Make Sense of Reading?
9. How Can We Encourage Reading Beyond the Classroom?
10. How Do We Put It All Together?
Appendix A. Books to Support Student Agency
Appendix B. Books to Talk about Visioning with Students
Appendix C. Books by Genre
Appendix D. Book Awards
Appendix E. Popular Series Books
Appendix F. Book Club Choices
Appendix G. Children’s and Teen Choice Awards
Children’s Literature by Appendix