Executive Skills and Reading Comprehension
A Guide for Educators
Kelly B. Cartwright
Foreword by Nell K. Duke
The reproducible materials can be downloaded and printed in PDF format.
2. Plans and Goals: Getting Ready to Read
3. Organization: Why Text and Reader Organization Matter
4. Cognitive Flexibility: Juggling Multiple Aspects of Reading
5. Working Memory: Holding and Linking Ideas in Mind While Reading
6. Inhibition and Impulse Control: Resisting Distractions to Support Comprehension
7. Social Understanding: The Importance of Mind Reading for Reading Comprehension
Epilogue: Linking the New with the Old: How Are Familiar Comprehension Skills and Strategies Related to Executive Skills?
Appendix A. Rubric for Assessing Executive Skills in Observations of Your Students’ Reading Behavior
Appendix B. List of Games Related to the Executive Skills Described in This Book
Children’s Literature Cited