Getting the Best for Your Child with Autism
An Expert's Guide to Treatment
I. Mapping the Road to the Best Treatment: How to Get a Thorough Diagnosis
1. Off to a Good Start: Timely Screening Will Set You on the Path to Help
2. Getting Your Footing: What a Diagnosis Can (and Should) Do for You and Your Child
3. Setting a Course: Navigating the Diagnostic Process to Emerge with a Plan
II. Outfitting Yourself to Help Your Child
4. The Balanced Family: "Adjust Your Own Face Mask before Attempting to Help Others"
5. Becoming an Informed Consumer: Getting Your "Personal Best" in Services and Providers
III. Putting It Together: Matching Your Child's Learning Needs with the Treatments That Can Help
6. Learning Deficits, Learning Styles: What Does Your Child Need?
7. Core Treatments for Autism: Which Interventions Will Meet Your Child's Needs?
8. The Customized Course: Additional Strategies That Target Specific Needs
IV. On the Road: Getting Out There to Get What You Need
9. Navigating the Legal Byways: Entitlements That Foster Learning, Kathryn E. Dobel
10. Sharing the Driving: The Rights and Responsibilities of a Collaborative Parent