The Complete Family Guide to Addiction
Everything You Need to Know Now to Help Your Loved One and Yourself
I. What Is Addiction?
2. What Makes Someone an Addict, as Opposed to a Heavy Drinker or Recreational User?
3. How Addiction Affects the Brain
4. Why Do Some People Become Addicts and Others Don’t?
5. So Is Addiction a Disease? (and If Not, What Is It?)
6. Why Do People Get Addicted to One Particular Substance and Not Others?
7. What About Gambling Addiction, Sex Addiction, Etc.?
II. Living with an Addict
8. How Addicts Behave
9. How Loved Ones Are Affected
10. Denial, Enabling, and Codependency
11. The Stigma of Addiction
12. Strategies to Get a Loved One into Treatment
13. How to Cope When a Loved One Is Refusing Treatment
14. Dealing with a Child Who Is an Addict
15. Dealing with a Spouse Who is an Addict
16. Dealing with a Parent Who Is an Addict
III. Keeping an Addict Out of Trouble
17. Can an Employee Be Fired for Being an Addict?
18. Drug Courts and Other Ways to Keep an Addict Out of Jail
19. Using Civil Commitment to Keep an Addict Safe
20. More Ways to Protect an Addict from Harm
IV. How Treatment Works
21. Can Addicts Get Well without Treatment?
22. A Brief Overview of Treatment Options
23. What Really Happens in Detox?
24. What Really Happens in Rehab?
25. How to Find a Good Rehab—and Pay for It
26. Psychotherapy Approaches That Are Used for Addicts
27. Drugs That Treat Alcohol Abuse
28. Drugs That Treat Opioid Abuse
29. Does Alcoholics Anonymous Actually Work?
30. AA-Type Groups for Addictions Other than Alcohol
31. Alternative Support Groups for People Who Don’t Like AA
32. When an Addict Has Other Mental Health Problems
V. What to Expect in Recovery
33. What to Expect in Early Recovery
34. What Causes Relapse?
35. How to Prevent Relapse
36. What to Do If a Relapse Happens
37. Managing Addiction as a Long-Term Chronic Illness