More than 90,000 in print!
The First Interview
Download an e-book copy now or order a print copy
Read a Q&A with featured author, James Morrison!
Sign up for e-alerts on upcoming titles by James Morrison (with special discounts)!
The reproducible materials can be downloaded and printed in PDF format.
1. Openings and Introductions
2. Chief Complaint and Free Speech
3. Developing Rapport
4. Managing the Early Patient Interview
5. History of the Present Illness
6. Getting the Facts about the Present Illness
7. Interviewing about Feelings
8. Personal and Social History
9. Sensitive Subjects
10. Control of the Later Interview
11. Mental Status Exam I: Behavioral Aspects
12. Mental Status Exam II: Cognitive Aspects
13. Signs and Symptoms in Areas of Clinical Interest
15. Interviewing Informants
16. Meeting Resistance
17. Special or Challenging Patient Behaviors and Issues
18. Diagnosis and Recommendations
19. Sharing Your Findings with the Patient
20. Communicating Your Findings to Others
21. Troubleshooting Your Interview
Appendix A. Summary of the Initial Interview
Appendix B. Descriptions of Selected Disorders
Appendix C. Sample Interview, Written Report, and Formulation
Appendix D. A Semistructured Interview
Appendix E. Assessing Your Interview
Appendix F. Bibliography and Recommended Reading